Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Of Instrumentation



While listening to Sigur Ros's Hoppipolla I realized a characteristic of some of my favorite bands is a wide use of instrumentation. King Crimson is a decent example of progressive instrumentation, The Dear Hunter and Sigur Ros both use small brass ensembles, and even guitar-and-voice Conor Oberst has incorporated a few off instruments into his music. My (current) all-time favorite live album, Dream Theater's Score, is better than the rest of my favorites partially because of the impressive incorporation of the live orchestra in the second set.

I'd really like to see Matthew Bellamy play the harp in a song like Falling Away With You, Claudio Sanchez play the voilin in a sad emo love song, Flea play the French Horn in an epic RH composition, and Mike Portnoy play some marimba.

No comments:

Post a Comment