Monday, January 5, 2009

Rant: On




I seem to be alone in this, but I have a huge pet peeve with bands doing covers. It really bothers me when bands cover songs and don't give the original band credit. I know there's a ton of legal stuff behind this, but that's unimportant to me. Its a matter of the creator of a song taking credit for writing it. I can't take a friend's paper, put my name on it, and turn it in, but bands can do the same with songs.

For example, Van Halen covered The Kinks' classic "You Really Got Me Now." Save a tiny mention in the liner notes that nobody actually reads, the song labeled just as any other song on the album. No "You Really Got Me Now (The Kinks cover)" in the name slot or any mention of the song's authors. I had heard it before, but not known that it was The Kinks', and it seemed to be right up Van Halen's alley. So, being my stupid self, I was led to believe that Van Halen wrote the song. Wrong. I still love Van Halen's music, but not crediting the band who wrote a song that you cover is just something that grinds my gears.

I don't hear much about this from other people. Ugh.

Rant: Off.

No comments:

Post a Comment